Sunday, September 11, 2011

Twin Towers

I remember the first time I came to New York, in awe of the city and all the crazy experiences she gave me. I remember my final look at the New York City skyline and there they were, the twin towers (World Trade Center Towers) standing prominently there along with the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Ms. Liberty, and so on. That was my final memory of those buildings, but I am glad to have seen them in person.  


Today is the 10 year memorial of the September 11th attacks. Back in 2001, I don't think I ever imagined myself to be living in New York City at this time, attending one of the most prestigious schools in my field. I remember it was around 6am pacific time, my dad called the house frantically telling my mom to turn on the TV to watch the news. There it was... a city that I held dearly and close to my heart in massive chaos after the first tower was hit. I went to school and half of the students in my grade didn't know what was going on because they were on the bus when the news hit, but once 1st period started, everyone knew what was happening.

I remember sitting in my 8th grade history class, taught by Ms. Castro talking about history and how this event will forever change the lives of all Americans. I went home that day, and even though it wasn't recommended, I watched the news all day for hours, even after my mom fell asleep. All I could think was why would someone do that? How is America and NYC going to recover? What happens now? 


Flash forward to today. Yesterday I spent all day close to campus, away from all the busyness of midtown and downtown. I had heard news reports say if something were to happen then public transportation would most likely be a major target. I read reports of all bridges and tunnels being checked  and large amounts of police officers on patrol. I observed there were more police officers in the subway starting from Thursday, possibly even before that, I don't know. I just know that we, as Americans, need to stay strong and remember the 2,977 lives that were lost during this unforgettable day, 10 years ago.

God Bless.
My prayers will always go out to the families that were affected 10 years ago by these attacks. I also am praying that no other city ever has to go through an event like this ever again.

No comments: