Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Decade

새해 복 많이 받으세요.

Every year my family makes food through the midnight passing into the new year, and nothing really changed this year either.  However, we did end up going to the Korean sauna on New Years Eve, entering 2010 feeling quite refreshed.  I'm not sure how to feel when I say my last meal of 2009 was spent at a Korean sauna.  Funny no?

What have I learned from this New Year?
Within the Korean culture, celebrating the new year is a big deal - all the stores close, families make large amounts of food, and the kids always 배 [bow] to their elders.  Because I have always been exposed to this these types of customs, I do not really know how other people celebrate their New Year.  I feel like New Years is just an extension of the holidays and been trained to think the holidays equals time to spend with the fambam period.  I would feel guilty if I were not there spending time with my family.  I'm not sure how I would feel if I were not to spend entering a new year with the people I love most; my family really does come first.  I'm not sure if I will ever break this tradition and get to experience another type of New Year's celebration.  We shall see...

On the other hand, I am definitely grateful for the amazing food my mom makes ONCE A YEAR! 

Homemade 만두 [dumplings] YUM!
 
Another deliciously amazing New Years
meal by my 엄마

 만두국, 갈비, 빈대덕, 고구마 튀김, 김치, and the whole nine yards

배 to the Aunt&Uncle 

In other news...
I was reading one of my favorite websites, huffingtonpost.com and the main article was about the economy of the past decade.  Read this article.  As I was reading, the article made me feel a mixature of emotions.  I am in a way mad that the economy is in such a bad state - having one of the worst, if not the worst economic recession in American history.  I am trying very hard to have a non-partisan approach, but I really can't help but blame President George W. Bush and his administration for making such harsh mistakes!  Of course they could not predict the future, but with all the information provided, Bush, his administration, and Congress should have take better precautionary measures and made better political decisions because their actions sure as hell impacted the all Americans and the rest of the world!  Thanks to them me, thousands of other graduating college students, and millions of people living in the U.S. do not have a job.  Yippie.  Okay polictial rant done.

I will end on a happier note.
NEW YORK!  I'm gonna be back there soon...
living the east coast lifestyle! :]

Picture of one of my favorite cities in the world.
Photo credit squaregirl

Have a happy new year everyone!  Best of luck in 2010!