Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Updates

What is going on in my life/world today...?

Signed up for my last set of classes at UCI.
Bittersweet near good-bye.  I am still dreading the idea that in about 4 months I will officially be considered an alumni of an institution that has provided me some of the best opportunities in my life.  College is definitely the period when people are able to build their own foundations and understand who they are; it is a time to empower and believe in oneself.  I was talking to my supervisor yesterday about how my position in Mesa is really like a final prolonged good-bye to my college experience.  I have been part of the Mesa Court student staff family for the past three years and lived there as a freshman.  Many of the memories I developed throughout my time in college has been related back to the people who I have developed relationships with while in Mesa Court.

Racists activities in UCSD.
"I stand in solidarity with Black students at UCSD and condemn the administration for not making pre-emptive institutional changes."
What is going on in our world...? The University of California is one of the top public institutions within the United States.   Today, within our federal government - the executive office position is held by a black man for the first time in U.S. history, yet we are still fighting issues of racism.  We can never run away from issues of diversity.  For minorities, people of color, colorblindness is not an option.  People need to understand how to accept the fact the the world is in the 21st century and moving in a forward direction.  Please read this article.  For me, this had one of the most powerful and impactful messages as a person who is a womyn of color and  considered a minority to the rest of the United States population.

Irvine 11.
I am actually not too sure how to respond to this incident.  I know many students advocate that UCI's administration is violating the protestors' 1st amendment rights, but what about the other side of the story?  What about the 1st amendment rights of those who were presenting the information i.e. the Israeli Ambassador, Michael Oren?  I'm really torn.  As with many students or people in general, when people don't have enough information (which is me right) they can't decide what they want to stand for, and end up being ambivalent and to some extent not caring about what is happening in their surrounding communities.  Time to care and do some research. 

Music to my ears.
For my entire life, I have had the fear of listening to my ipod while I walk around anywhere.  My ipod was only really used when I went to the gym, on airplanes, or long car rides.  But why?!  When I was younger I used to walk home a lot from the bus stop, and if I was listening to something with headphones in my ears I would not be able to hear if someone was coming from behind me to kidnap me.  I know that some people may think I am too paranoid, but this is reality, especially as a woman in socitey.   However, for the past few days I have had the biggest grins on my face as I listen to the music I love and adore.  What would my life become of without music?!

Totally sick with the cold -_-.
Damn it.


Fin. 
Cheerio darling.

No comments: