Sunday, April 5, 2009

Privilege, rights, wants, & needs

Growing up ever since my eighth grade winter intermission cooking class with Mrs. Bodiford and Mrs. Fitzpatrick, I started to question the difference between having certain rights and being privileged in different situations. Then came my ninth grade health class with Ms. Polk, who questioned what the our actual needs and wants in life.

These different lessons definitely have been applied to various events in my life, and I have also questioned the decisions of other people as well. As a Resident Advisor this year, and especially this week, I have tried to apply these questions to my own residents. I am not sure if people understand when they are privileged or actually have the right. For example, in my situation, freshmen residents definitely do not understand that for them, housing is a privilege that they earned, they do not have the right to receive on-campus housing from the university. -_-.

However, in my actual life, different to my life associated with housing, as an Asian American, Asians have consistently been stereotyped with their frugal ways. I am definitely not disappointed to say that I actually can be categorized under this stereotype. Besides the point, I always question what my actual needs and wants are based on how the item affects me and/or my family economically. Ode joy to saving money. :)

But, truly think about each of these words; they all are simplistic words that each of us understand and can appreciate.


Fin.

1 comment:

Jen said...

woah. the first sentence gave me a major flashback. funny that you remember these things; I've blotted middle school out of all recollection... shudder. haha.

it's nice to know what you're up to and all that. keep writing!
and what's going on with yo residents???? are they messing with delia...??!!

xx